Pen no problem for Ronaldo


Cristiano Ronaldo insists he had no problem with taking a penalty against Tottenham, despite missing one during the Reds' last defeat in December.

When asked if that rare failure was on his mind when he put the ball on the spot, Ronaldo replied: "To be honest, no.

"Sometimes you score, sometimes you miss. I wasn't thinking about West Ham - that's in the past. I needed to think about the present.

"My confidence is always positive. I took a good penalty and I scored. I'm very happy, my colleagues are happy... everyone is happy."

Ronaldo's 69th minute penalty put the Reds 2-1 up against Tottenham, who had followed their 5-1 thrashing of Arsenal by taking the lead against United through Robbie Keane.

"This game was very difficult," acknowledged Ronaldo, whose two goals followed Carlos Tevez's 38th-minute equaliser.

"We knew before the game it would be tough because Spurs are a good team and they were coming to Old Trafford with confidence after beating Arsenal in their last match.

"But I think we played better (than Spurs) and we deserved to win."

Ronaldo sealed the win with a shot that squirmed under the body of Tottenham's otherwise impressive goalkeeper Radek Cerny. It took Cristiano's tally for the season so far to 25 goals - now two more than his total for the entire 2006/07 campaign.
"That's fantastic but I need to say thank you to my team-mates because my colleagues and my friends have helped me a lot this season," said Ronaldo.

"I'm having a great season and I need to carry it on. But the most important thing is the team is playing very well, we are top of the league and in the next round of the FA Cup.

"It's very important for us to win this cup. I'm confident we can win it this season."

Cristiano Ronaldo was talking to MUTV.

[27/01/2008 16:00, Report by Adam Bostock]
 
Copyright © 2011 Blogger with Love | Themes by Edit-me.